Saturday, March 25, 2006

Let Them Be Offended

Anyone who knows me only from this blog might be surprised to discover that I am a fan of South Park. I am. There's no denying it.

Cue Stan Marsh:
Daaaaaad, Tom Cruise won't come out of the closet!

The whole business of whether or not Isaac Hayes actually quit South Park raises a point or two. Most of all in my mind is the question of whether Scientology is a cult. I'm pretty unambiguous on that question but people I respect argue that saying so is offensive.

Here's my spin on it: If people in your religion feel comfortable speaking on your behalf in a legal or business matter as though they had power of attorney, then you belong to a cult. Now it's not clear who is speaking for Isaac Hayes, but I'll bet ten dollars to a doughnut that that's what happened.

It occurred to me right after discussing this with a friend that the more publicly prominent sects of the religion of the alleged prophet Mohammed are also cults. Is that offensive? Well, then let them be offended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home